Monday, January 12, 2015

Top Notch Series round 2 at Coyote Hobbies

Hello everyone! A couple of weeks ago I attended Round 2 of the Top Notch Racing Series at Coyote Hobbies. It was a full house with a lot of fast drivers in attendance which made for an amazing day of racing!  My Venom Powered Pro 2 SCT performed amazing after I finally fixed some issues I was having.


My first practice session in the morning went well and my truck was performing great. I was really happy with my driving consistency and the traction that my Pro-Line Electrons where giving me! My Venom batteries also performed awesome like they always do!
















After my second practice session, I noticed my ball diff was starting to bark at me and perform very inconsistently.  I ended up taking apart the diff and noticed my thrust bearing had exploded. I ended up rebuilding the diff and it exploded again during the break in phase. The MIP guys where in attendance at the race and they really helped me out with the issues I was having. Unfortunately I had no extra parts to rebuild the diff again and neither did the MIP guys. Here is a shot of my thrust bearing, or what was left of it.














I ended up switching back to the Pro-Line gear diff with 7k oil in it. I was extremely impressed with the gear diff since I never actually tried it indoors. I found that my truck performed more consistently than it ever has. I also noticed that the truck rotated much better through the corners. The truck handled very differently than I was used to, but overall I liked it. Although my day started out super frustrating with my diff failing and the lack of parts available to fix the issue, it ended with a new found respect for gear diffs.  I am going to finish the season with the gear diff and I hope to get my truck fully dialed in for the next race.

Here is a video of the main event that I shot with my Sony Action Cam.


Good luck at the races! Remember, you can always ask me for help, just look for the Venom powered Pro-Line vehicles and the KLA logo at the track.





-Matthew Garcia

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment