Saturday, February 1, 2020

4 cell Lipo Nitro Head heater

So I recently made a tool for me to use my 4 cell lipos with a 12 Nitro Head heater.


First, you dont want to kill your lip battery. I purchased a low voltage cutoff circuit to help with that. This device lets you set a voltage and cuts off power when the input voltage reaches the threshold you set. Get one HERE   The heater I used you can get HERE. The Voltage regulator I used you can get HERE ... You want the 10 amp version.




I ended up using an old box that a servo came in! I try my best to upcycle stuff when I can.






















I used a body reamer to make some holes in the plastic for the wires to go through.
















Here is a shot of the Low voltage cutoff circuit. You can just put the wires in the green tabs and tighten it down with a screw driver. Be sure to pay attention to the positive and negative terminals.















I measured/eyeballed where I needed to make holes and made some. I then put some clear double sided tape to secure the circuit in the box
















You can see the different wiring here. So the red and black wires will be going into the output of the voltage cutoff circuit. and the yellow and black will go to the head heater. But first we need to grind off those tabs so we can adhere this to the back of the box.




















I filed down the tabs with a small hand file.























Once things are smooth, You want to strip the wires and start connecting things.






















As described previously, you just hook up the red and black wires to the proper output terminals on the cutoff circuit.



















Once you have the wires connected, you can use more double sided tape to adhere the regulator to the back of the box





















Once you have things stuck together, you can add a battery connector of choice to the input of the cutoff circuit. My choice was deans!






Shoe GOO those holes!!!















Another look at the product.






















The particular heater I used came with a xt60 connector with some alligator clips. I just cut the clips off and soldered  them to the output of the voltage regulator. That is the Black and Yellow wires. Be sure to add shrink wrap and make thing look half way decent. Otherwise if you are not going for looks, electrical tape will be fine.



















Plug in you battery and see if it work! You can set the cut off voltage by holding down the button until the numbers flash. You can the select up or down to select your voltage and then hold again to make the selection.


I dont go lower than 3.2V per cell to prevent damage to the lipo. So in my case I set my 4 cell lipo to cut off at 12.8 volts.




 One important thing to note, I shoe gooed the wires coming out from and going into  the box in order to prevent them from getting pulled on. You can use tape or gorilla glue or whatever. I found that the shoe goo worked best and provided a clean look.






 Here is the finished product! The numbers read out the current voltage of your battery and I have found this set up works really good. I get about 40 minutes of heating from my 6950MAH 4cell lipo.



Thank you Jesus for such a great life.

-Matthew Garcia



No comments:

Post a Comment